PC_Misc_Col_Barr_? [R-Zero]

View and discuss completed claims
R-Zero
PT Modder

Post by R-Zero »

worsas wrote:To make it work, the silk should be a physical mesh laid over the skull which is recognizable as silk.This looks a bit strange and I wouldn't know that this is supposed to be a layer of silk, as player. Are the colovians really that much into this moth theme? Just 1-2 variants of carved skulls would work far better in my imagination.
Wasn't Moth a universal Cyrodiilic symbol of ancestry, and Nibenese just being more hardcore with it because of the Alessian Order? But yeah, maybe Arkayn Circle imagery or something would be more fitting.
I'll see what I can do with the silk, if it won't look good it would be easy to just drop it.

worsas
Project Administrator

Post by worsas »

Wasn't Moth a universal Cyrodiilic symbol of ancestry, and Nibenese just being more hardcore with it because of the Alessian Order? But yeah, maybe Arkayn Circle imagery or something would be more fitting.
I have no idea. I'm missing much of the detail - knowledge other people around here have. But speaking of moths... didn't you make a nocturnal moths- mod at some point? We should totally use that one.

R-Zero
PT Modder

Post by R-Zero »

worsas wrote: I have no idea. I'm missing much of the detail - knowledge other people around here have. But speaking of moths... didn't you make a nocturnal moths- mod at some point? We should totally use that one.
Yeah, I did - they are very basic and low-poly though.

Is it okay to place ancient coins in the skull's sockets? Like this:
[hsimg=]https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/100 ... Ladies.png[/hsimg]

Saint_Jiub
P:C Council Member

Post by Saint_Jiub »

That looks freaking rad. I agree with Worsas about the silk, it may be tricky to pull off in game, but otherwise I love this.

There's moth imagery on the Templar armor in the vanilla game and the legion is very Colovian, so you're probably safe to use it here as well.

Infragris
Project Administrator

Post by Infragris »

I'm not really sure about that. The Red Dome Templars were founded rather recently, after Tiber's death, and reflect the relative union of the Second Empire. Some urban Colovians would go for moth imagery these days, but most would probably keep to the austere Arkatic iconography. More to the point, these skulls are from the early Colo-Nordic era, when cultural mingling with the Nibenese was limited. The Moth, as an ancestor cult symbol and origin of the silks, is at the heart of Nibenese culture first and foremost.

A silk-swaddled skull is a good idea, but it's one that I would keep for the Nibenay. In fact, Nibenese silk-breeding techniques depend on dead (sometimes human) meat, so it is perfectly possible that the moths themselves covered the skull in silk during their feeding.

As said the basic idea is for the skulls (and other bones) to be banded or even completely covered in hammered copper or flaking gilt. Incorporating coins is a good idea (though they should perhaps be embedded into the design more), but I would not use the Imperial diamond symbol here, which at this time is more of an Alessian Order thing.

R-Zero
PT Modder

Post by R-Zero »

Infragris wrote:these skulls are from the early Colo-Nordic era
Are all Colovian tombs specifically from this time? Contemporary to the Alessian Empire? No Reman era tombs? I dunno if using coins was a good idea then, as we only have Reman and Alessian ones currently.

Infragris
Project Administrator

Post by Infragris »

The vast majority is strictly from the heydays of the Free Estates. Of course, tombs could be in use for a long period of time, and traditional families probably still used them during the Second Era, but otherwise these tombs should epitomize the earliest Colovian period (which is very important for the Colovian mindset, and otherwise underrepresented).

This might sound strange compared to what I said about the Imperial diamond, but using Alessian coins in Colovian tombs should not be a problem. The Free Estates where very small, underdeveloped nations, and for the most part still paid tribute to the Alessians (the "Free" part is a bit of historic revisionism). They did not have the economical capacity to make their own currency, and would have to rely on the widespread Alessian coin. This was a very common dynamic during the Roman and early medieval periods, I think.

R-Zero
PT Modder

Post by R-Zero »

Infragris wrote:The vast majority is strictly from the heydays of the Free Estates. Of course, tombs could be in use for a long period of time, and traditional families probably still used them during the Second Era, but otherwise these tombs should epitomize the earliest Colovian period (which is very important for the Colovian mindset, and otherwise underrepresented).
Gotcha. More Nordic/Nedic influences then, less Nibenese.

Infragris
Project Administrator

Post by Infragris »

Skull idea: dip them in paint? Like a crusty layer of blue or white paint all over them. We could have little painted Nordic patterns over them.

R-Zero
PT Modder

Post by R-Zero »

Infragris wrote:Skull idea: dip them in paint? Like a crusty layer of blue or white paint all over them. We could have little painted Nordic patterns over them.
Would blue or white fit the colovian tomb aesthetics? Maybe red would be better? Or just some nordic-inspired ornaments on the cranium.
I hoped I could do this without editing the base skull texture, because then I would need to make a whole new one - I would like to use Connary's as a base but I think he was against using his stuff for anything at all. A detail map, maybe? I don't know.
Would the skull I posted an image of above be useful for any Reman-era locations? If yes, I'll keep it around.

Infragris
Project Administrator

Post by Infragris »

Perhaps better if you used the textures from Better Skulls instead.

For Reman stuff: maybe? Concepts aren't very well developed yet.

R-Zero
PT Modder

Post by R-Zero »

Infragris wrote:Perhaps better if you used the textures from Better Skulls instead.
These are by Connary too.

If we forego the paint idea, would just putting a circlet/headband thing (like on one of the colovian hairstyles) and adding some details like artificial eyes and mayb metal teeth suffice?

Infragris
Project Administrator

Post by Infragris »

I'm not sure if artificial eyes are the way to go: they could make the model look a little goofy. I wouldn't use the the modern hairband either: the thing shouldn't refer to modern-day styles. Other than that, pretty much a lot of copper and small gemstones all over the thing. Look at worsas' early Colovian weapons for a style and age guide. The copper should perhaps look beaten and assymetric, as if it was hammered cold across the skull (not molten). Maybe bronze age grave goods, things like Schliemann's treasures of Troy could be an alternate inspiration.

R-Zero
PT Modder

Post by R-Zero »

- A bone wrapped with golden bands
Is this fine?
[hsimg=]https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/100 ... _femur.png[/hsimg]
download

worsas
Project Administrator

Post by worsas »

R-Zero wrote: Is this fine?
Yes, it is.

R-Zero
PT Modder

Post by R-Zero »

worsas wrote: Yes, it is.
Sweet. Will upload in the Contribution thread once I make the icon.

R-Zero
PT Modder

Post by R-Zero »

R-Zero wrote:
- A bone wrapped with golden bands
A skeletal hand in the same style:
[hsimg=]https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/100 ... ed_arm.png[/hsimg]

Infragris
Project Administrator

Post by Infragris »

Very nice.

R-Zero
PT Modder

Post by R-Zero »

How's this for the ancient goblet?
[hsimg=]https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/100 ... ebblet.jpg[/hsimg]

Update:
[hsimg=]https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/100 ... bblet1.jpg[/hsimg]

Infragris
Project Administrator

Post by Infragris »

I like it a lot. Could you do a small set in this style? Plates, bowls, that kind of thing.

R-Zero
PT Modder

Post by R-Zero »

Infragris wrote:I like it a lot. Could you do a small set in this style? Plates, bowls, that kind of thing.
Thanks! I can try my hand at it.

R-Zero
PT Modder

Post by R-Zero »

I know it's a deviation from the concept art, but how about this shape for the vase thing?
[hsimg=]https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/100 ... s/vase.jpg[/hsimg]
If this is not acceptable, I'll just make the handles look like ones on the barrow jars.

worsas
Project Administrator

Post by worsas »

Looks just fine, as far as I'm concerned.

Saint_Jiub
P:C Council Member

Post by Saint_Jiub »

I like the handles on the cup :)

R-Zero
PT Modder

Post by R-Zero »

worsas wrote:Looks just fine, as far as I'm concerned.
Saint_Jiub wrote:I like the handles on the cup :)
I remade these in a bit different, simpler shape. Also made both the goblet and the vase appear old and damaged - they are very old, after all.
[hsimg=]https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/100 ... oblets.jpg[/hsimg]

Not sure about bowl shape, but for now it looks like this:
[hsimg=]https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/100 ... s/bowl.jpg[/hsimg]

Infragris
Project Administrator

Post by Infragris »

These look very nice - the weathered look adds a lot of character. The bowl looks great too.

R-Zero
PT Modder

Post by R-Zero »

All current pieces of the set together:
[hsimg=]https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/100 ... ow_set.jpg[/hsimg]
Any particular item you guys would want in the same style next?

Infragris
Project Administrator

Post by Infragris »

Some kind of platter would be useful to exhibit loot on. Other than that, nothing comes to mind.

R-Zero
PT Modder

Post by R-Zero »

Infragris wrote:Some kind of platter would be useful to exhibit loot on. Other than that, nothing comes to mind.
Couldn't think of anything, went for a simple shape:
[hsimg=]https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/100 ... debowl.jpg[/hsimg]

Infragris
Project Administrator

Post by Infragris »

Looks excellent. With these items, we now have a robust set of clutter for the Colovian barrows. Are you planning to add any more items to this set, R-Zero?

Return to “Completed”