Post by Leon » Sun Feb 28, 2016 11:28 am

Claiming.
Lead Interior Designer & Quality Assurance at Province: Cyrodiil

Leon
P:C Council Member

Re: Gold Coast Interior Claim PC_i2-32 [Leon]

Post by Leon » Mon Feb 29, 2016 1:01 pm

Quest time!
When the player will enter this interior he/she will notice a dead NPC, this NPC is John Doe (temporary name of course). John Doe died due natural causes; being old.
After searching his house and searching for other clues who he was; the player will find out that he was a very important man, he was a very high ranking man of the blades.
Strangely nobody in Brina Cross or anywhere really know what he did and they don't saw him as important; some say John Doe was a former Fighter's Guild warrior, others say a retired farmer; nobody know's for sure and the people don't really care either. The more clues the player will find the more he/she will realize that John Doe wasn't a man of good service, instead he was a whistle blower, meaning; he delivered strict secret information to dangerous people around Tamriel; a spy that spied against his own emperor so to speak.

When the player first discover the body, he/she can alarm the guards, the guards will therefore remove the body. John Doe will be buried on the graveyard of Anvil.
By doing this option, the house of John Doe will also be blocked by a guard and the house itself will become inaccessible therefore searching for any clues will be impossible, the quest will finished by using this option.

When the player has collected all the clues/evidence (without telling the guards), he/she can give it to the count of Anvil and receive the appropriate reward. The count will tell the player that it took the empire decades to find him, but never succeeded and that John Doe lived using a false name, his real name was the infamous Tom Hanks (temporary name of course).

A few days has past since the player has told and gave the evidence/information to the count of Anvil, and the problem just has started; the player will receive death treats from the Camonna Tong, who are not happy about the death of their No.1 whistle blower and that the player is having access to all the information of John Doe. Orvas Dren (the leader of the Camonna Tong) need that information/evidence from John Doe and will never take a no for an answer. Therefore the player has to steal the information back from the Count of anvil, if the player refuse that; the Camonna Tong will sent assassins in order to kill the player.
When the player will get caught stealing from the Count of anvil, the punishment of stealing this precious information, which will suppose to be delivered to the Emperor himself; is the death penalty; death due hanging. (I can animate/script that, no problem) in the open air viewed by anvil's citizen.
When the player will succeed, stealing from the count of Anvil and give all of it to Orvas Dren, the player will receive nothing in return, the only thing that will change is that Orvas Dren has stopped sending assassins to the player.

The more the player is been involved with this matter, the more he/she will realized that it wasn't his/her business to begin with, and that snooping around was actually the worst thing to do in this case.

Infragris
Project Administrator

Post by Infragris » Mon Feb 29, 2016 2:06 pm

An interesting idea for a quest, but a couple of remarks:
  • I don't think going straight for international conspiracies is the best way to go, here. We should build up the scale and importance of our quest lines relative to their location and the path the player took to get there. A high-stakes quest dealing with spies and assassins, the Emperor etc. would be better placed as part of a Blades questline, in the Heartlands or further east, and "gated" based on the player's level or reputation.
  • Likewise, the Camonna Tong simply have no place here. They are a crime/mafia guild based in provincial Morrowind, and while they have strong political connections there, this should not translate to any international presence. At best, they could have a fleeting presence in Cheydinhal, close to the border, and even there they would be under constant threat by the Thieves Guild. They are on a completely different scale of power compared to the Empire. More to the point, we should refrain from involving Morrowind factions in general: our quests should focus on fleshing out our own, native factions, and avoid entanglement with vanilla content at all costs.
  • I'm not a big fan of making this man a Blades agent either. The Blades are some of the Emperor's most trusted men, fanatically loyal to the Empire. While featuring a traitor is definitely an interesting concept, it would make the wrong impressions to make this one of our first experiences with them, on a meta-narrative level. Also not really sure what kind of critical information an operative in a small town like Brina Cross could provide.
  • Lastly, while the idea of featuring a player execution is interesting, it opens up a whole can of worms when dealing with crimes of the same caliber that the player can perpetrate elsewhere, and with the concept of player freedom and freeform questing that informs most TES quests. Performing treasonous acts should result in high to very high bounties, perhaps some kind of bounty hunter system, as it is in the vanilla game. There is one situation where I believe it would make sense to give the player a "cutscene execution": if they manage to murder the Emperor or his close family.
This may sound like a lot of harsh criticism, but I want to emphasize that I like the basic idea of the quest a lot. We just have to Cyrodiil-ify it a tad. Some suggestions:
  • Local scale: reframe the situation in terms of local, Colovian conflicts: the Kali Mes situation in Sutch, the Free Estates Movement, mercantile factions like the East Empire Company or the Zenithar Cult, etc. This also prevents problems like "why don't I go back to Vvardenfell and kill Orvas Dren?"
  • Local factions: there are a number of spy factions this person could belong to: the Gilded Eye Cult (Hermaeus Mora cult who worship information), the Vampyrum Order (disguised vampire faction that influences the government from within), the Temple Zero Society (Illuminati-like secret fraternity)

Leon

Post by Leon » Mon Feb 29, 2016 2:28 pm

Thank you Infragris, I welcome criticism and feedback with open arms. :D
I just read on the wiki that you can kill Orvas Dren in a vanilla quest, haha.

Yeah, I agree with you 100%.
I really like the idea of a local spy faction in which he may be in.
The theme about a dead lifeless NPC, but his secrets and stories lives on through a dark world very much intrigues me.

We could really flesh things out later in the overal progress.
Sounds awesome Infragris, thanks. ;)

Leon

Post by Leon » Tue Mar 01, 2016 2:08 pm

Finished.
Attachments
PC_i2-32_Leon_01.ESP
Finished.
(25.05 KiB) Downloaded 18 times