Gold Coast Exterior: GC_02 [berry]

View and discuss completed claims here
Infragris
Project Administrator

Gold Coast Exterior: GC_02 [berry]

Post by Infragris »

A strip of land between Anvil and Brina Cross. the area should feature two, maybe three farm houses with orchards and fields. The cells adjacent to Brina Cross could also feature fields, but without farmhouses. The southern part of the claim should also feature an old Imperial fortress. Remember to use Imperial Highway meshes and textures for the road (see worsas' latest Anvil claim for how these should be used)
release area 2-3 - Gold Coast_0.12_claims.jpg

berry
PT Modder

Post by berry »

Claim!

Just to be certain, that's the last file from griff we know about, correct?
viewtopic.php?style=8&p=7098#p7098

worsas
Project Administrator

Post by worsas »

I think so. I will be as bold as moving this to claimed now. :D

berry
PT Modder

Post by berry »

First update. Not too much is here to see, I'd wager, but please, check if I'm heading in the right direction with this. I can't say I fully feel the Gold Coast. :)

Added the ruin in -118,-51, revised griff's cliffs per Scamp's suggestion, added cliff, pond etc in -118,-50 and outlined basic layout for the "highway cells"

Let me if it's ok to proceed with this, or should I change something and so on
Attachments
PC_xGC_02_15-05.esp
(1.17 MiB) Downloaded 274 times

Infragris
Project Administrator

Post by Infragris »

The ruin and the southern cells look fine. I really like the use of the wayside shrine. Not an expert on the highway stuff, but you might have to make it a little more broad to fit with worsas' template - don't feel constrained by the way the road is drawn on the concept maps.

This topic gives up-to-date info on what the GC is supposed to be about. I think, so far, you're on the right track in terms of mood, although this area should be a little more agricultural than the wild coast in other claims.

The size and layout of the farmhouses is fine, but their fields are way too small: this is the local breadbasket, important for food and the production of Aliyew, the local liquor. Remember that Cyrodiil is much more densely populated than any other povrince, so the agricultural infrastructure should be much bigger too. As an example, the fields surrounding the house at -118, -49 should imho be as wide as the cell and stretch all the way up to the highway. In relation to this house: please don't use pumkins here, the pumpkin meshes are of really bad quality and don't fit the region profile. Agricultural crops for the region are apple trees and spike rice. You could also use the static olive trees to make an orchard. Other options for fields are large pastures with cows or goats. Also, some fields could just be left empty: not every field has its produce ripe at the same time.

worsas
Project Administrator

Post by worsas »

I like this whole claim. In fact it feels spot-on to me. The highway is between mostly 2 and sometimes even just 1 texture tile wide in my claim. So the width in this claim here should be alright.

roerich
Cruel Warlord

Post by roerich »

Agreed, this is looking good!

- The wilderness cells are spot on.
- The pumpkins should go, yeah. And the fields could be larger. It would also be nice to have some more husbandry in general.
- Perhaps add one or two more farms near the current roads
- The Reman tower's placement is a bit curious. It's almost at the lowest point in the landscape, next to several hilltops which would be where you would expect to find such a tower. I figure it wouldn't be the hardest thing to move though.. Or raise the landscape. And btw, currently the door leads directly into a wall, there should be a cliff or something behind it, or maybe move the door more towards the inner tower.
- I'd swap the dungeon-specific loot in the bandit camp (Welkynd stone, barrow clutter, Ayleid coins) with more generic bandit loot like weapons, gold and drugs. I still think these kinds of items should be mostly unique to their dungeon types, in order to make the dungeon experience more memorable. If we want to portray grave robbers and Ayleid ruin looters, it should be done next to or within the ruins IMO.
- I'd probably use a non-rippled sand texture for the inland lakes. T_Cyr_TerrMudRiverGC_01 would be a good choice.
"I don't know if you are kidding but I 100% support a Big Mouth Billy Bass in PC"
- Taniquetil

berry
PT Modder

Post by berry »

Thanks guys, I took your suggestions into account.

Another update is here, I believe we are halfway done now. I took the "local breadbasket" idea to heart; another principle I tried to follow was to start some subtle transistion towards Sutch region here, as it begins two cells from -118,-47 already. This area is slightly more rocky and hillish than the Brina Cross's part thus, but hopefuly not in a striking way.

I fiddled with the layout of some GC_04 claim cells too for future inspiration; I think a canyon would fit in great there.

It might be a good idea to throw in 1-2 extra houses to each farmstead, but I'm not entirely sold on it, I don't want to generate too much interior work.
Attachments
PC_xGC_02_20-05.esp
(1.34 MiB) Downloaded 273 times

Infragris
Project Administrator

Post by Infragris »

Looks great! I don't think more houses are needed: most people who work here can live in Brina Cross (which otherwise has no notable means of employment). I might edit the existing GC around Brina Cross to be more in line with this claim, actually.

berry
PT Modder

Post by berry »

Thanks for the input! :) I eventually added two more houses, simply because these farmsteads feel rather big and rich as far as Colovian standards are concerned (I imagine the area between Anvil and Kvatch to be the richest and the safest part of Colovia myself) and they looked like they could use some more workpower. There's plenty fields to work on/herds to herd for people of Brina Cross as well; the poorest folks from the town could own a row or two of the crops on the "communal field" -116, -47.

Alright, unless someone has some more suggestions/requests, I'd wager this can be considered finished now. The border areas are somewhat undetailed on purpose, so it would be easier to merge this with Gilded Hills/Brina Cross files. Likewise, there is no grass as for yet - I imagined we should eliminate the land tearings between this and Anvil/Brina Cross files first at the very least.

There are some dummy NPC schmucks here already, with IDs starting with _GC_02_; as always, feel free to remove/alter those. I also had an idea for a simple egg-hunt quest for the farm in -117, -47, where the player would have to discover all hidden empty skooma vials and denounce one of the residents as a skooma dooer (the ID for the vial is PC_xGC02_vial), but it would be trivial enough to remove those vials if that idea ends up unimplemented.

The file is clean, so it works fine with the Brina Cross and Anvil files, at least as long as it's below them in the load order.

Enjoy!
Attachments
PC_xGC_02_05_06.esp
Gold Coast exterior claim 02 finished
(841.9 KiB) Downloaded 292 times

worsas
Project Administrator

Post by worsas »

This claim is amazing and just how it should look like. Nice work, berry!

roerich
Cruel Warlord

Post by roerich »

Agreed, this is looking magnificent. Great job on this!
"I don't know if you are kidding but I 100% support a Big Mouth Billy Bass in PC"
- Taniquetil

Infragris
Project Administrator

Post by Infragris »

I opened this up real quick to check on some ext location, and I noticed a small issue: near the barrow entrance of this claim, you used the barrow corner pieces (the weird pyramid tower things) as freestanding pillars. This is not the intended use of these pieces: they are only meant to simulate bricks in the corners of interior rooms.

Infragris
Project Administrator

Post by Infragris »

I'm taking this out of review for a second to update references to the latest data files.

Infragris
Project Administrator

Post by Infragris »

Updated this file to data version 05. While I was at it, I did take the liberty of editing some content:
  • Fixed placement of the "oak" trees (these were floating due to mesh replacers in the latest data update)
  • Replaced Vurt trees with correctly ID'd versions (T_Cyr_FloraGH_Tree_...)
  • Colovian Barrow at -116, -50: removed the "pillars" in front of the entrance. These pieces are meant to simulate brickwork in corners in interiors. They should not be used as freestanding pillars.
  • Reman Fort Ruin at -117, -51: I haven't changed anything here, but I do want to note that I don't like the use of Colovian Barrow bricks and rubble outside of the barrows. We'll add properly textured bricks and junk for the forts next data update.
  • Replaced signpoles with the updated versions
  • Replaced farmland ground texture with grass for the apple and olive orchards. Can't plow land in an orchard.
  • Replaced the spike rice in on field with ironrye, for variety's sake.
  • Removed two de_ cushions.
  • Replaced some strawberry plants with lycovines. Strawberries aren't part of the local flora profile.
Attachments
PC_xGC_02_002.esp
(841.8 KiB) Downloaded 242 times

worsas
Project Administrator

Post by worsas »

Reman Fort Ruin at -117, -51: I haven't changed anything here, but I do want to note that I don't like the use of Colovian Barrow bricks and rubble outside of the barrows. We'll add properly textured bricks and junk for the forts next data update.
Things of similar nature are commonplace across SHOTN - content. I wonder, if this makeshifty stuff is a problem. For me it strongly depends on how related the mixed assets are. In this case it'd be fine to me.

Infragris
Project Administrator

Post by Infragris »

That's true, but in this case it won't be that hard to provide a proper variant since these are just two or three very simple, versatile meshes. I wouldn't have remarked on it if I hadn't noticed the same problem in the north coast claim: out of the four Reman fort locations we have right now, three are using these barrow bricks. This indicates a problem with the set itself.

Fürst Thal
PT Modder

Post by Fürst Thal »

Update:

Added grass.
Fixed some texture seems.( But not all)
Attachments
PC_xGC_02_006.esp
(2.52 MiB) Downloaded 189 times

chef
P:C Head of Exteriors

Post by chef »

Changed the corner in -118,-47 to be GH assets to match the 04 cell.
Attachments
PC_xGC_02_007.esp
(2.52 MiB) Downloaded 148 times

Scamp
Lesser Daedra

Post by Scamp »

Took the latest file and gave it another glance. That said, I have previously reviewed the file and sent the results to Thal to work on the groundcover - which has turned out really well. The GH additions look great too. Unfortunately I seem to have deleted my previous review notes. Anyway,

additional changelog:

-fixed texture seam in -116,-49
-fixed texture seam in -116,-50
-couple grass bleeders around a rock in -117,-50
-fixed one grass bleeder in -116,-50
-two texture seams in -116,-51
Attachments
PC_xGC_02__2019_01_12.7z
(569.81 KiB) Downloaded 317 times

Scamp
Lesser Daedra

Post by Scamp »

Merged with Anvil section file, moving to finished.

Return to “Completed”