Rescaling book meshes - Yay or nay?

General project talk

Should we adjust the dimensions of our custom books to match vanilla books?

Yes, let's to it!
73%
No, it isn't worth the trouble.
27%

Total votes: 11

worsas
Project Administrator

Rescaling book meshes - Yay or nay?

Post by worsas »

With the ongoing data merge, we'll have PC_Data-books and TR_Data-books alongside our own custom books in the book list. Our own book models are very thick and large in comparison and can't really be mixed well with the former, so we would be, pretty much, restricted to only using our own books in future and the other projects couldn't really use our books the other way around, which, altogether, would defeat much of the potential advantage of the data merge.

I don't suggest downgrading our books to vanilla polycount and textures, but tweaking their dimensions and coloration a bit. Though, this would also mean a rather big amount of fixing in existing interior cells. The one big argument against changing these models. I'm not 100% sure, if it's worth the trouble and how big the advantage would be in the end. Please, state your opinion on this.

[hsimg=]https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/223 ... nsions.jpg[/hsimg]

roerich
Cruel Warlord

Post by roerich »

I'll have to say no to this. The workload required simply isn't worth the trouble compared to the positive aspects IMO.
"I don't know if you are kidding but I 100% support a Big Mouth Billy Bass in PC"
- Taniquetil

DMKW
Forumite

Post by DMKW »

Can't some books be taller and thicker than others? Can you just make future books vanilla size? I have all sorts of tall and or thick books at home, that don't fit all that well on my shelf. Or am I missing the point? Your books meshs looks pretty cool btw! Haven't seen those

worsas
Project Administrator

Post by worsas »

My main problem at this point is that interior modders of the other projects are very unlikely to use these books, as they are both, stylistically and dimensionally very different. By changing the dimensions I was hoping to make them more usable across without having to change the models themselves, that are doubtlessly of good quality. Having larger and smaller books is one thing, but another thing is having a completely different representation of things that are basically the same. I have been bugged about these books from the first moment on, but have never had the heart to voice any concerns, since the relation to the member making them was very strained back then.

roerich
Cruel Warlord

Post by roerich »

I can indeed see the reasoning behind it, and it would be great to have. The proportions have bothered me as well, but it works fine for now IMO.

My question, how much time will it take? We have to go though almost every interior we've ever made (and some exteriors), using precious modding time that would be better put towards something that actually would make a release date come closer.

I mean, it's something we could do. And it makes a lot of sense in regards to the common data file. But I really want to see a release soon, and I don't think this is worth the time right now. Unless it could be done relatively quickly (a week or two?)
"I don't know if you are kidding but I 100% support a Big Mouth Billy Bass in PC"
- Taniquetil

worsas
Project Administrator

Post by worsas »

I think the biggest complication about it would be getting all content with these books into a single file and systematically catching all of their instances. Though, with a couple hours of effort, it could be done. It just adds to the general complication currently at place. I'm undecided, because I feel similar to you on that regard. We've been stagnating about this release for too long and it's a bit odd, how many other things have gotten in the way over time.

worsas
Project Administrator

Post by worsas »

Last night, while I thought about this mess, I realised that tes3cmd would actually allow me to programmatically auto-rescale references in an esp-file. This means, I could downscale the books in data and apply a different scale to their references in the gameworld to fit into the same space as before. Actually, it is also possible to auto-adjust coordinates, which would be practical for the flora replacements at P:C.

roerich
Cruel Warlord

Post by roerich »

I'm not sure I have the mental capacity to understand that. :-D Sunday and all. But if you found an easier solution, I think that's something to consider.

Edit: Rereading it, yes that makes sense. If it can be done, go for it.
- Taniquetil

Luxray
Cat Herder

Post by Luxray »

If book meshes need repositioning, send me a PM, I've got no end of free time atm, and would be very happy to assist in this task.
<roerich> woah it's hot in here
<Lord Berandas> it must be Summer.
<Infragris> #hell is meant as a spam and off topic channel. Doing a great job already

worsas
Project Administrator

Post by worsas »

We can do without hand-replacement, probably. I haven't tested yet, but tes3cmd should allow me to rescale the books placed in the gameworld after the base objects have been rescaled. So it would rid us of the manual fixing work in our interiors.

berry
PT Modder

Post by berry »

I voted no, because were we to get this done by hand I think it would be a waste of
roerich wrote:(...)precious modding time that would be better put towards something that actually would make a release date come closer.(...)
But if there is actually a way to get this done automatically then I'm fully supportive of the idea.

worsas
Project Administrator

Post by worsas »

Just writing here to say that I'm currently looking into a solution for the placement problem after the recent update. Unfortunately tes3cmd doesn't enable me to do what I wanted, but I'm about to write a quick program that can interpret esp files and change scale of objects.

worsas
Project Administrator

Post by worsas »

So, does anyone have an idea how we should go about the rescaling patch? We'll need all pre skyrim-data 26 - interiors collected in a file , in a way that it can be merged with the progress files without doubling stuff and whatnot.

Some of the missing interiors might be within the file here: viewtopic.php?f=104&t=507" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Also, some interiors got reviewed by luxray in the meantime. And there is generally a bit uncertainty regarding which interiors were pathgridded so far. It's a slight mess, but one we'll have to deal with at some point and probably together with having this one file patched so all book instances fit into their places again.

Scamp
Lesser Daedra

Post by Scamp »

There are books in exteriors too, right? Probably need a complete merge to pull this off.

berry
PT Modder

Post by berry »

I haven't touched the books in my claims yet, I too assumed we might want to wait with this for the merge.

About the reviewed interiors, I added them to their respective shells in my claim - that is the housings in the docks and the vampire barrow. I hope that doesn't increase the mess we're having here. Scamp's wizard cave and my Druadach interiors are there too. I'll try to upload an updated file tomorrow.

Return to “SHotN General Discussion”