SHotN FAQ

General project talk
roerich
Cruel Warlord

SHotN FAQ

Post by roerich »

This is the FAQ for Skyrim - Home of the Nords.
Written by Luxray

What is the project about?
This is a project to create the Tamrielic province of Skyrim in the engine and worldspace of Bethesda Softworks' 2002 game The Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind. You may be familiar with Skyrim as it is in Bethesda's 2011 game, The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim. We are using a combination of our own ideas, lore from TES:III, the design of TES:V, and other TES-related sources to create a world that reflects our vision of the province.

How long have you been working on this?
We have been going officially since 2008ish, with a major and constructive overhaul of our work in the last few years. Our list of active members has grown significantly in the last year or so: overall, we are very well-placed.

Is this mod lore-friendly?
The short answer: Yes. The longer answer: Yes, though we are not a carbon copy of TES:V; we bring our own ideas which make the landmass fun and interesting, whilst being relevant to the timeframe we are working in.

Is it intended to take place at the time of Morrowind or is it an independent game?
SHOTN is designed to take place concurrently with the Main Quest of TES:III, that is, in the Tamrielic year of 3E 427.

Who works on this project?
Modders and enthusiasts of TES:III, from all over the world, of all ages.

Who makes the new models and why?
We have dedicated modellers who create the models needed to portray the province of Skyrim as we would like. A great many of the things you see in our mod are custom-made with over 3,000 models made so far. Some are assets remodelled in the style of things from TES:V and some are completely new and original. Some of the assets vary in quality bu

Are you compatible with other mods?
As long as mods do not contain landmass that is in the same overworld space as our lands, we should be compatible with them. Large-scale mods like Tamriel Rebuilt or Province: Cyrodiil have no conflicts with us as yet. When it comes to overworld border matching with those landmasses, we will work together to resolve any issues. If you are having a problem with a specific mod conflict, please feel free to make a post about it.

Will you be compatible with OpenMW?
As OpenMW aims to recreate all features and functions of the base executable of TES:III, there should be no problem running our mod with that program. Whether we adopt post 1.0-features of OpenMW as part of our work is another, as yet unanswered, question.

What are you currently working on?
We are currently working on the westernmost of the 9 Holds of Skyrim, The Reach. You can see progress on these forums, the Bethesda Game Studio Forums, Scamp's blog, roerich's blog, or Praedator's blog.

Where can I download your work so far?
You can download our latest release at the Morrowind Nexus.

When is the next release?
Soon(tm). We hope to have a fully quested release in the course of 2016. I'd like to offer a more concrete date, but there is always much to do!

How can I help the project?
We are always looking for interior designers, modellers, artists, dialogue writers and questers. If you are interested, feel free to make a post saying hi and we can let you know how you can help.

You didn't answer my question!
Make a post about it and ask us. We are friendly people and love social interaction. If you are feeling more adventurous, you can even come chat to us on our IRC channel: #shotn on irc.chatspike.net. If you are unfamiliar with IRC, just click >>here<<.
"I don't know if you are kidding but I 100% support a Big Mouth Billy Bass in PC"
- Taniquetil

worsas
Project Administrator

Post by worsas »

I have edited the FAQ slightly to change a link that was pointing to the old forum. And the estimation of the quested release towards the end of 2014 (what a surprise! :D ).

roerich
Cruel Warlord

Post by roerich »

Whoops.
"I don't know if you are kidding but I 100% support a Big Mouth Billy Bass in PC"
- Taniquetil

Biboran
Forumite

Post by Biboran »

When you are approximately ready to new release? Can not wait to test new lands. :)

Luxray
Cat Herder

Post by Luxray »

Soon

It really depends how fast and motivated we are (this time up until summer leaves most of us with increasingly less modding time, though)
<roerich> woah it's hot in here
<Lord Berandas> it must be Summer.
<Infragris> #hell is meant as a spam and off topic channel. Doing a great job already

Biboran
Forumite

Post by Biboran »

You are faster than the other provinces and even Tamriel Rebuilt. :)

Return to “SHotN General Discussion”